Bathroom design ideas for bathroom remodeling to add a bathroom or enhance bathroom accessibility make a lot of sense. If you like where you live and have great family memories, the idea of leaving when you get older is hard to swallow.
Bathroom design ideas can anchor a plan to live comfortably in your home for a long time. Universal design provides bathroom remodeling solutions to obstacles brought on by aging.
Accessible housing is important when it comes to building a higher quality life for older adults, according to a study by the Joint Center for Housing Studies of Harvard University. After age 50, the incidence of people suffering from physical challenges increases. This can often make it difficult to maneuver in a conventional home setting. Depending on the physical need, anything from crutches to walkers to wheelchairs may be used and universal design can help immensely.
An AARP survey showed 89% of homeowners want to stay in their current home and community. This recent trend has been tabbed “aging in place.” And, while the cost of bathroom remodeling can be significant, it is far lower in cost than extended stays in assisted living facilities.
Accessible Bathroom Design Ideas Aren’t Luxuries
Sims Exteriors and Remodeling understands every project represents a collection of personal preferences or needs as part of the group of bathroom design ideas. We know our bathroom design ideas are helping each customer shape their future plans in Madison WI.
We also know accessible design in home and bathroom remodeling is not limited to the aging population. In fact, studies show approximately 25% of all people in the United States have a disability of one type or another. That’s 54 million people now, and by 2030 the number of adults afflicted with arthritis alone will double. Bathroom design ideas and bathroom remodeling, using universal design techniques, males sense and can enhance a home’s resale value in Madison WI.
Bathroom Design Ideas Including Universal Design Is Not Marketing Spin
Bathroom remodeling with universal design in mind allows people to live in their homes safely, independently and comfortably, no matter their age or ability level.
Universal Design in bathroom remodeling need not require making major changes in homes or living spaces. There are basic elements which are effective, simple and inexpensive, and can be incorporated into every bathroom remodeling project.
Bathroom design ideas incorporating Universal Design elements include:
- No-step shower entrances with beveled threshold —The shower stall should be at least 5 feet wide by 3 feet deep with no curb
- Doorways at least 34 inches wide — The Americans with Disabilities Act requires a 5-foot turning radius for a wheelchair
- Hallways at least 36 inches of clear width
- Reinforced walls around toilet, bathtub and shower if grab bars are needed. New grab bar are not only functional but beautiful
- Light switches or electric controls no higher than 48 inches above the floor
- Electrical plugs no lower than 15 inches above the floor
- Lever handles on all doors and faucets – no grasping and turning required
- Ideally, the toilet should be positioned between two support bars 36 inches apart. A toilet seat 17 inches off the floor is a more comfortable height for everyone
- Well lit hallways and doorways
- Handrails on both sides of all steps.
Bathroom design ideas leading to remodeling to add a bathroom, or enhance bathroom accessibility makes sense on many levels. Bathroom design ideas are the first steps to living comfortably in your home as long as possible.
Sims Exteriors and Remodeling specializes in making homes the best possible place for you to live in Madison WI. Call us at 608-825-4500 or email us and we’ll be happy to provide some of the best bathroom design ideas in Madison WI.