Now is the time to put your deck building plans, deck ideas, and deck designs into action. Madison WI is a perfect place to move your living and entertaining outdoors onto a new or renovated deck.
If you already have a deck, there are many ways you can enhance your outdoor experience with deck building additions – adding a new section, new shape or updating the look with a new surface or specialty features. You can add a new “skin” to the deck surface using composite materials or simply a new stain color. Your deck ideas and deck designs are limited only by your imagination.
No matter if your deck building plans call for an all-new addition to your Madison WI home or updating an existing deck design, planning ahead is essential. Deck building isn’t as easy as it may look. It requires proven building techniques, the right tools and the skill to use them. Because Sims Exteriors and Remodeling is a full service remodeling company it has the expertise to update, expand or create a deck project from scratch.
Deck Building And Deck Design Ideas
Here’s a list of deck building considerations and deck design ideas to consider when discussing your plans with a contractor. They are features and deck design ideas helping make the most of a deck building project for years to come.
Consider the following in your project –
- Decorative railings
- A gazebo or a screened area
- Benches or a special seating area
- A built-in grilling area
- A spa or hot tub
- Privacy screens
- Special landscaping
- Multiple levels for multiple uses
Once you’ve considered these or any other elements you come up with, you can move on to the deck building project itself. Working with a professional contractor allows you to create more detailed, complex deck designs than a do-it-yourself plan might allow. Before you meet with your contractor, answer for yourself these questions –
- How will you use the deck most often? Entertaining or just family relaxing?
- Do you want a hot tub or other accessory? It will be easier to include this now rather than later?
- Consider your furnishings – what size furniture will you use, how many pieces of furniture do you expect the deck to hold?
- Will you have a built-in grill area or a place for a mobile grill? Gas grill or charcoal?
- Do you want to include a water feature?
- How high off the ground will your finished deck building creation be? Higher than two feet above the ground requires a railing.
- Do you need your deck building plan to include ramps or stairways?
- Do you want special lighting accessories?
- Does your deck building plan include using treated lumber, cedar or composite materials – each has its own pros and cons.
Deck Building Is A Big Project
Once you decide on your deck design, the North American Deck and Railing Association (NADRA) says it will be part of an estimated 2.5 million decks to be built in the United States each year. The association also reports many decks built by do-it-yourselfers will result in less than satisfactory results. Deck building projects not including a qualified contractor often result in mistakes like –
- Not obtaining the appropriate local building permits.
- Improper flashing – allowing water to penetrate between the deck and the house, resulting in damage to the structure.
- Using the wrong fasteners connecting the deck to the house – wrong materials, wrong size.
- Poor footings – undersized footings lead to sagging decks or even collapsed decks.
- The wrong materials – weather-resistant materials are essential in a deck building plan and deck designs should include tested materials for every piece, including fasteners.
- Poor railing size or spacing – railings are mandated by Madison WI building codes and these codes spell out the appropriate sizes and dimensions.
- Dangerous stairways – stairs with open risers, weak hand rails and narrow designs are hazardous and invite accidents.
- Unsealed wood – unsealed wood will age and deteriorate faster than sealed wood of the same type, so applying an appropriate seal prolongs the useful life of a deck.
A well-deigned deck building plan in Madison WI can extend the family home beyond its outside walls and extend the use of the whole yard. A well thought out deck design and deck ideas add a new dimension to every home.
Now is the time to put your deck ideas, deck designs and deck building plans into action. Regardless if you’re looking to enhance an existing deck with new deck ideas or starting from scratch, Sims Exteriors and Remodeling can help. Call us at 608-825-4500 or email us for a complete deck building experience in Madison WI today.