Blending personal style with the latest decorating trends has brought the concept of a transitional kitchen to the forefront in 2018 kitchen remodel plans. What works for you is the bottom line for creating a new kitchen in your Madison WI home.
As the name implies, a transitional kitchen represents a trending design style bringing together different elements to blend classic, country and contemporary into a unique result that’s all yours.
Unite contemporary styling with rustic for an open-concept farmhouse kitchen. Incorporate clean lines and modern engineering to bridge the gap between classic and modern. According to the National Kitchen & Bath Association studying trends in materials, colors and finishes for appliances, cabinets, countertops, plumbing, light fixtures and related kitchen products, remodelers from around the country report the same thing.
The hottest trend for the foreseeable future brings clean, minimalist and modern touches together with the best features of traditional kitchens. The best remodeling plan adapts the features of personal style with technology that fits the space – not all houses welcome contemporary style or real farmhouse décor.
Planning a Transitional Kitchen
The idea of a kitchen that represents transition from one style to another isn’t a revelation. Designers put a name to the creation homeowners have been requesting for years – a kitchen designed to center around what they like. What defines a concept that unites several architectural and design styles and why is it becoming so popular? Consider these basic transitional kitchen elements bridging the gap between styles:
- Neutral Colors – Colorful accents are common. The basic palette is neutral to welcome many textures and finishes. Backgrounds are created to be “timeless” and accentuate other elements – cabinetry, flooring and furnishing. Grey and white are the most often requested background colors.
- Interesting Accents – interesting, textured surfaces of real stone and colorful uniquely-shaped tiles are key additions.
- All Natural Meets Manufactured Materials – A comfortable, versatile and functional kitchen regularly features combinations of wood, steel, glass, stone and marble.
- Natural Surfaces – Granite, marble and quartz countertops are the first choice. Wooden countertops are regaining favor. Ceramic and porcelain tiles are in demand in walls for both color and texture, and wood-look ceramic tiles are a good choice for kitchen floors – real hardwood is still the first choice. Continuing the theme, countertops are plain – no ornate or elaborate edge treatments or embellishments.
Function Trumps Form In Madison WI
The watchword for a kitchen remodel in 2018 is function. While style is important, every aspect of the new kitchen has to have a working relationship to the room and what goes on in it. Topping the list of requirements are:
- Functional Cabinetry – cabinets are designed to be streamlined with no elaborate hardware or custom trim. Wood is the material of choice and painted wood is a favorite treatment.
- Functional Lighting – providing lighting that really makes the space usable far outweighs designer lights. Under-cabinet lights, recessed lights and pendant lights over kitchen islands and work areas are top choices.
- Kitchen Sinks – the top three styles in trend studies are undermount designs, a single bowl version and the farmhouse sink. Any of them can be used to create a transition from one style to the next. Stainless steel is the most popular for the sink and multi-purpose, pull-down faucets are the most popular fixtures.
Kitchen renovations that keep it simple, basic and uncluttered fit the transitional mold. Accessories in the kitchen are kept to a minimum with function trumping decorative appeal – without sacrificing personal style and appreciation for good looks.
Madison Kitchen Remodel Pros Deliver
Very simply, the transitional kitchen is where homeowners bring together the most favored elements of all other kitchen designs. Classic and traditional, popular farmhouse kitchens or an ultramodern, industrial-look all work. Blending old with new, modern with period elements is what makes this a rapidly growing design choice. There are no hard rules.
The ultimate success of any kitchen remodel begins with a solid plan and a team to make it reality.
Sims Exteriors & Remodeling is an experienced and knowledgeable source of remodeling ideas, trends and the latest in kitchen design serving Madison WI and all of greater Dane County.
Contact Sims Exteriors and Remodeling at 608-825-4500, or email us to begin planning the kitchen remodel to provide you with the transitional kitchen that’s best for your Madison WI lifestyle.